Highlights of Qualifications
- Planning and management of security, technical operations, and development procedures for Montana Interactive
- Experience leading small groups of developers.
- Experience writing in several programming and scripting languages for both desktop and web applications, on both Windows and Linux platforms.
- Experience designing software and leading a software project.
- BS in Computer Science at The University of Montana.
- Experienced in Linux and Windows server operations, maintenance, upgrades, patches, setup, scripting, and repair.
- Skilled in communication and cooperative troubleshooting.
Skills and Experience
Programming and Administration
- Experience as Lead Web Developer for Montana Interactive using Perl CGI and Oracle for the mt.gov state site, including some work with SOAP, REST web services.
- Mobile development experience in both iPhone/iOS and Android
- Experience analyzing existing code for security defects, and writing secure new code.
- Experience working as a computer programmer at Logistic Systems using Visual Basic, VB.NET, ASP.NET, C#.NET, FoxPro, C++, Java, XML, XHTML, Struts
- University classes in Java, C, C++, Program Design, Database Systems, Network Programming, Operating Systems, and Programming Languages, with experience extending beyond class into personal projects.
- Self-taught skills in Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, WWW-SQL, MySQL, Android mobile development
- Work experience with IBM DB2 and Oracle on AIX, Linux, and Windows servers, and writing utility programs in Perl.
- Since 2000, I have administered several Linux servers of various sizes with several websites under Apache, and complex website written in PHP using MySQL.
Communication and Troubleshooting
- Met with several state agencies to plan and discuss application development, improvement, and problem solving.
- Provided estimates and time-lines for development projects.
- Made technical decisions for coding standards and led discussions and reviews of coding techniques.
- Mentored new developers and exposed experienced developers to new coding concepts.
- Served as lead developer and designer of a web-based conversion of Logisys's main record management product.
- Led a successful semester-long group project in the development of a testing and bug-tracking database system for use on the web. This project was for the Software Science class at The University of Montana.
- Helped give a talk on step-parenting solutions to new step-families through a program at Lincoln Center in Billings, MT.
Ben Tobin – Page 2/2
- NIC Mobile Boot Camp
- NIC Software Security Training
- Training in Java from nTier.
- Graduated from The University of Montana with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science.
- Graduated from Billings West High School.
- Digital Photography Editor for West High Kodiak.
- Early C++ course at Montana State University Billings during my Junior year of High School.
- July 2010 – Present
- Interim Director of Development for Montana Interactive (NIC)
- November 2008 – July 2010
- Lead Developer for Montana Interactive (NIC)
- November 2006 – November 2008
- Web developer for Montana Interactive (NIC)
- June 2003 – November 2006
- Programmer for Logistic Systems
- 1999 – 2003
- Software tester for Logistic Systems
- Hired by Riverside Junior High for computer lab repair and maintenance, setup of software and network additions, and instruction in software usage.